- 4 oz Worsted weight yarn - main color
- Small amount contrasting color for
border around hat and collar & for pompoms;
Worsted weight yarn
- Small amount of white or other solid
color for face; Worsted weight yarn
- Red yarn for mouth or scraps of felt for
- 3" Styrofoam ball
- Size H crochet hook
- Yarn needle
Chain 37; turn
Row 1: 2 dc in 3rd ch from hook,
3 dc in rem ch; ch 3 turn
Row 2: 2 dc in 1st dc, 3 dc in
next dc, 2 dc in next 2 dc, *3 dc in next 2 dc,
2 dc in next 2 dc; repeat from * to end of row;
Chain 25; and follow instructions for rows 1
and 2 of legs.
Follow instructions for rows 1 and 2 of legs
but before cutting yarn, change color to
contrasting color and crochet a row of 1 sc in
- Chain 10 (this will be the height of the
- sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each ch
- sc in each sc for 11 more rows.
- Join sides to form tube.
- Close one end of tube to form top of hat
- On other end, work sc around
- 1st row of brim: 2 dc in each sc
- 2nd row of brim: *3 dc in next 3 dc, 2
dc in next 2 dc; repeat from * to end of
- 3rd row of brim: Change to contrasting
color and work 1 sc in each dc. Cut yarn
Chain 4, join to form a ring; work 10 sc in
- Round 2: Inc 1 sc in every other sc
(total of 15 sc)
- Round 3: Inc 1sc in every 4th sc (total
of 18 sc)
- Round 4: Inc 1 sc in every 5th sc
(total of 21 sc)
- Round 5: Inc. 1 sc in every 6th sc
(total of 24 sc)
- Round 6 through 13: work even
- Round 14: Dec 1 sc in every 6th sc;
insert Styrofoam ball before finishing.
- Round 15: Dec 1 sc in every 5th sc
- Round 16: Dec 1 sc in every 4th sc
- Decrease to close end
- After knotting off and cutting
each piece weave loose ends back into
crocheted piece using a yarn needle.
This helps hide the knots and end pieces of
- Make a small pompom for the top of the
hat and attach it.
- Make 2 pompoms next size for hands.
Attach one to the end of each arm.
- Make 2 pompoms size larger for feet and
attach one to the end of each leg.
- Sew arms and legs together with yarn
needle and a matching piece of yarn.
- Attach the collar to the bottom of the
head by sewing it in place then attach the
arms and legs to the head.
- Sew the hat on top of the clown's head.
- Make a face by either embroidering one
with yarn and a yarn needle ( I made the
sample using two x for eyes and an outline
stitch and red yarn to make the mouth) or
cut a face out of felt and glue or sew it
onto the head
- Optional: work a chain of desired length
to form a loop and attach it to the top of
the clown's head to hang him on the wall.
Back to Crochet Patterns