If you like to crochet, these baby bootie candy cups are the perfect party favors for you to make for a baby shower. They are inexpensive and stitch up quickly. Choose a color of yarn to go with the theme of the party. Make a matching pair of baby booties for the guest of honor.
Materials and Supplies
- Small amount worsted weight yarn
- 18" piece of thin ribbon (1/8" to 3/8" wide)
- Crochet hook; size H
- 4" x 6" cellophane bag
- Curling ribbon
- Mints, almonds or other small candies
- Yarn needle
- 1 Facial tissue
Make one bootie for each guest at your baby shower to take home with them.
While crocheting the bootie, if you need a reference for any of the abbreviations used below check out our Crochet Abbreviation Chart. It contains a list of the most commonly used crochet abbreviations.
* Crochet the bootie as follows:
- Chain 11
- 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of next 8 ch; 4sc in last ch
- Working on the other side of ch, 1 sc in each ch except 2 sc in last ch; join with a slst to 1st sc of other side. You just made an oval.
- 2 sc in next sc, 1 sc in each of next 10 sc; 2 sc in next 2 sc; 1 sc in each of next 9 sc; 2 sc in next sc. You should now have 28sc around.
- Working through top loop only, sc in each sc around.
- Working through both loops now and for the remainder of the bootie; 1 sc in each sc around
- Sc in next 12 sc; sk 1; sc in next 3 sc; sk 1; sc in rem 11 sc (26 sc)
- DC in next 10 sc; *sk next sc; dc in next sc; Repeat from * 3 times; dc in next 8 sc (22sc)
- Sc in 1st dc *sk1; ch1, sc in next dc; Repeat from * around
- 1dc in each stitch all the way around. Join with a slst. Fasten off and weave the loose ends back into the bootie with a yarn needle.
* Weave an 18" piece of ribbon through the second to last round starting at the front of the bootie. Tie it in a bow at the front (toe end) of the bootie.
*Crunch up a tissue into a ball and place it in the toe of the bootie to help keep it's shape.
*Place some mints or other candy into a cellophane bag. Tie the bag closed with three strands of curling ribbon. Check to be sure the bag of candy fits into the bootie. If need be, add more candy or take some out.
* Curl the curling ribbon with a pair of scissors. Refer to our Hits and Tips section if you need help with this.