Decorations made of paper are an inexpensive way to decorate for the holiday. Below you will find directions including folding instructions and a full size pattern to make Gingerbread Garland. Easy kids craft!
The only material you need for this project is the craft paper and a pencil. All the other items are merely suggestions of items which could be used to decorate your garland. Pick and choose which items you would like to use.
Materials and Supplies
- Craft Paper
- White glue (tacky or Elmers)
- Glitter glue
- Fabric paint in squeeze bottles
- Googly eyes
- Scraps of fabric
- Cut a strip of brown craft paper that is 5" x 30" or the length you desire. A 30" length will give you seven gingerbread men. Craft paper comes on a roll that is usually 30" wide.
- Lay the pattern on the strip of craft paper so that one hand and one foot are toughing the edge of the paper. Make a small mark with a pencil at the edge of the opposite hand and foot. Lightly draw a pencil line across these two marks.
- Fold the paper along the pencil line you drew. Then continue folding the paper using an accordion fold being sure to line up the next fold so it is even with the previous fold. If you end up with extra paper at the end that is not big enough for another full fold, cut the extra off and discard it. The folded paper should be approximately 4"wide x 5" high.
- Lay the pattern on top of the folded paper and trace around the pattern. Line up the pattern so the hands and feet are touching the fold on both sides.
- Cut only on the lines indicated by the lines in this picture. Do not cut where the dotted lines are on the pattern. It is important that you do not cut around the tips of the hands and feet which are touching the fold. Leaving these spots uncut is what keeps the gingerbread men attached.
- Now, unfold your gingerbread men and decorate any way you like.
- For the youngest children they can use crayons or markers to decorate their garland.
- Glitter glue or fabric paint in squeeze bottles can be used to draw the icing
- Scraps of fabric or colored paper can be cut into vest, skirts etc and glued on
- Googly eyes, ribbons, raffia, buttons, pompoms and beads can all be glued on.
*If you want a longer strip of gingerbread men, roll out the craft paper to the length you want and cut across so the you have a big piece of craft paper that is your length by 30". Then cut it into strips that are 5" high.
*If your folds don't line up exactly, don't worry. As long as you do not cut through the edge of the hands and feet, you will be fine.
You will need Acrobat Reader to view the pattern as it is a PDF.
|Back to Christmas|