Crafting with food at Christmas is always a fun past time. Make some gumdrop trees to decorate your holiday table. Then, let your guests snack on the trees after dinner. Fun holiday activity! The kids will love to help you make this scrumptious tree.
See our suggestion below on how to wrap a gumdrop tree and give it as a gift.
Materials and Supplies
- Styrofoam Cone
- Aluminum foil
- Gumdrops (aka spice drops) *
- Tooth picks, the double pointed ones
* Use the smaller gumdrops not the jumbo ones. For a 6" tree I used about 14 ounces of gumdrops.
The Styrofoam cone used in our sample is about 6" tall however, use whatever size you want or make trees of different sizes and display them together on your holiday table.
- Cover your Styrofoam with foil.
- The toothpicks used in this project should be the more sturdy ones with a point on each end. These are often called party picks. Cut the toothpicks in half. If your toothpicks are splintering when you cut them, you can try using whole toothpicks but be careful that the points don't stick out of the gumdrop. I found it easier to work with shorter toothpicks.
- Put the cut end of the toothpick into the flat side of a gumdrop then push the pointy end of the toothpick into the Styrofoam cone going right through the foil. When attaching the gumdrops to the tree form (Styrofoam cone), start at the wider end of the cone and work your way around and up the cone. Place gumdrops as close together as possible.
You may need a full toothpick to attach the final gumdrop on top of the tree.
Gumdrop trees make great gifts......wrap it in cellophane for gift giving! Also, try different color combinations and just have fun.