Christmas craft ideas for kids ~ This easy kids Christmas craft is made from recycled egg cartons. Children have been making crafts from egg cartons for years. Continue this tradition with your children. Kids love to paint and this Christmas tree is the perfect paint project for little ones.
Materials and Supplies
- Cardboard style Egg carton
- Green paint, washable kids paint or acrylic paint
- White glue
- Brown crayon or marker
- Yellow craft foam
- Piece of cardboard at least 8" x 12"
- Scraps of wrapping paper, foil or construction paper
- Items to decorate your tree such as sequins, buttons, garland, glitter, craft foam shapes
- Thin ribbon
- Hole punch
- Cut the lid off the egg carton and discard it as it is not needed for this project
- Cut the cups of the egg carton so that you have the following; one group of four connected cups, 1 group of three connected cups, 1 group of two connected cups and a single egg carton cup.
- Glue the cups upside-down onto the cardboard starting with the single cup, then the double, followed by the triple and finally glue the four connected cups on as pictured. It may be helpful to put a book or other weighted item on top of the egg carton cups until the glue dries.
- Paint the egg carton cups green and let dry completely.
- Draw a tree trunk under the tree using brown crayon or marker.
- Cut a pot from craft foam or construction paper using the pattern included. Glue it onto the cardboard at the bottom of the trunk.
- Cut out different size squares and rectangles from wrapping paper, foil or construction paper and glue them to the cardboard under the tree. These will be the presents.
- Make some bows and glue the bows and other scraps of ribbon onto the presents.
- Cut a star from yellow craft foam, construction paper, or foil using the pattern provided and glue it on the top of the tree.
- Glue other decorations onto your tree. Some examples would be glitter, garland, craft foam shapes, sequins etc.
- Punch a hole in the cardboard near each of the top corners. Thread a 12" piece of ribbon or string through the holes and tie the ends securely. This will form a hanger for your picture.
Optional: color in the cardboard to give a more finished look. Possibly draw a background on the cardboard with a window, fireplace and furniture or simply write "Merry Christmas" above your tree.