Snowman Craft! This winter craft is easy for kids to make is a good use for a recycled water bottle.
Materials and Supplies
- 8 oz water bottle *
- 12" piece of twine
- 10" x 3/4" piece of plaid fabric
- Small amount black & orange craft foam
- Ultra fine black permanent marker
- Scrap of white paper
- Teabag & cup of hot water
- Glitter snow
- Hole punch - standard size
- Rip a piece of white paper to measure approximately 2" x 1 1/4". Place the paper in a cup of tea. Leave the tea bag in the cup with the paper for a more antiqued look. Let the paper soak for 10-20 minutes until the paper reaches your desired color. Gently wrinkle up the paper and squeeze out the excess tea. You want the paper to be wrinkled. Carefully unfold the paper and place it on 2 layers of paper towel to dry. Tea does stain so be careful where you place your paper to dry.
- Remove the label from your bottle and remove any glue residue.
- Fill the bottle 2/3 of the way with water and add a dash of vinegar.
- Punch out 7 circles from craft foam using a standard size hole punch.
- Cut out a carrot shape from orange craft foam. Our "carrot" is 7/8" long. Draw 3 lines on each side of the carrot with a permanent marker.
- Drop the black circles and the nose into the bottle of water.
- Add some glitter snow to your bottle. The amount of glitter snow is up to you. We put in just enough to cover the surface of the water. The craft foam face pieces and a good amount of the glitter snow should float because of what they are made of.
- Cap your bottle and tie one end of the twine to the neck of the bottle
- Cut a strip of plaid fabric 10" x 3/4". I used pinking shears to cut this as it helps to keep the material from fraying but don't worry if you don't have any - just use regular scissors.
- Tie the plaid fabric strip around the neck of the bottle on top of the string.
- With a 3/16" hole punch or the tip of a pen, make a hole in one corner of the tea dyed paper but before doing so, be sure the paper is completely dry.
- Using the permanent marker, write your message on the tea dyed paper. We wrote "Melted Snowman - In search of Winter"
- Using the loose end of the twine, attach the message using the hole you made in the corner.
* You could also make this Melted Snowman using recycled baby food jars. If you do this you might want to cut a circle from black felt and glue it to the top of the lid.