This stuffed shamrock is a great beginner sewing project. For someone new to sewing, felt is the perfect fabric to start with as the edges don't fray and the needle glides through easily.
Materials and Supplies
- Two 8 1/2" x 11" pieces of green felt
- 4 Safety pins
- Green thread and a needle
- Polyester Fiberfill (stuffing)
- Black or red fabric paint in a squeeze bottle
- 1 pair of 10mm googly eyes
- White rickrack
- Cut out 2 shamrock shapes from the green felt. An easy way to do this is to print the pattern provided. Lay the 2 pieces of felt on top of each other. Lay the pattern on top of the felt and use the safety pins to hold the pattern and material in place. Then, cut out the shamrock shape by cutting through the paper.
- Remove the pins so you can remove the pattern then replace the pins.
- Using the needle and thread, sew around the edge using an overcast stitch. Leave an opening for stuffing.
- When you have sewn all but about 2 inches, stuff your shamrock with the Fiberfill.
- Once stuffed sew the opening closed.
- Decorate your shamrock by gluing on some rickrack or other desired trims. Glue on googly eyes and draw a mouth with fabric paint.
Option: Leave the face off for a plain shamrock
Option 2: Enlarge the shamrock on a copier to make a shamrock pillow.