Easy Kids Craft made from craft foam! Super for storing sunglasses. Makes a great gift for Mother's Day, Father's Day, Birthday or Christmas.
Materials and Supplies
- 7 1/2" x 8 1/2" Piece of Craft foam
- Hole Punch
- Lacing thread or string - approximately 54"
- Pen or Pencil
- Optional: permanent markers & craft foam shapes
- Fold the craft foam in half so that one of the 7 1/2" sides meets the other 7 1/2" side. Make a mark on the fold on one end to identify the center. This end will be the bottom of the eyeglass case.
- Unfold it for now and starting at the top of one of the sides, make holes with the hole punch approximately 1/4" from the edge and space them about 1/2" apart. Continue down the first 7 1/2" side and across the bottom until you get to the center mark you made.
- Put the punch aside for now. It is important that when you fold the eye case in half to lace it that the holes line up so mark them now to ensure they line up. To mark the holes, fold the craft foam in half again and make a mark inside each of the punched holes.
- Now unfold the craft foam and use the hole punch to make a hole where each of your marks are.
- Fold your case in half again and begin lacing it up. Note: there will be no holes along what will be the top edge. Start at the bottom corner in the hole closest to the fold. Pull your lacing thread halfway thru this hole. Be sure your ends are even.
- Now lace up your case - with one end of the lacing thread, keep repeating an overcast stitch until you get to the last hole at the top then use the other end of the lacing thread and repeat up the other side (you will be using the same holes). When you get to the end, tie both ends together in a knot and cut off any extra lacing thread, but not too close to the knot. If the lacing is done correctly - on the edge the laces will make an X.
- Optional - decorate your case with permanent markers and/or craft foam shapes.