Craft a gift that everyone will love!
This pot of flower pens would make a great gift for Mother's day and is fun to craft with our easy instructions. Make a bunch of flower pens and put them in a basket to give out as party or shower favors or to sell at a local fundraiser.
Materials and Supplies
- 4 Bic "round stick" pens - these are the type that have a cap, not the click type.
- 3 Artificial flowers
- One 2 1/2" clay pot
- Small amount of Easter grass or Spanish moss
- Tacky glue
- Floral tape
- Floral foam
- Hand drill or other object to make a hole
*Hand drills are very inexpensive and are a handy tool to have. They can be purchased in your local craft store.
- Cut a piece of floral foam to fit inside your pot and place it in the pot. We used a clay pot but feel free to substitute any other type of pot that appeals to you.
Squirt some tacky glue on top of the floral foam and cover it with the artificial grass. Your pot is now complete. Place it aside while you make the flower pens.
- It is important that you use the pens that are flat on top - NOT the click type pens. This type of pen has a black or blue button on one end. Discard the cap that came on the pen.
- Using a hand drill* make a hole in the plastic button on the end of each pen. If you don't have a hand drill find something else to make a hole in the end of the pen or try to pop the button off the end. This step should be completed by an adult.
- Wrap the floral tape around the stick of the pen stopping just as you get to the black or blue piece at the point of the pen. When using floral tape, stretch it as you wrap.
- For each pen, pull one flower off of a bunch of flowers and stick it in the hole you made at the top of the pen. If the hole is too small, stick a metal object such as an awl or pick in the end and wiggle it to stretch the hole out. If the flower is too loose in the hole, glue it in place.
- Poke the flower pens into the floral foam in the pot and your Pot of Flower Pens is now complete.
Idea: Fill a glass container or pot with brown kidney beans or decorative stones and stick then pens into them.