If you are like most of us, you have a puzzle or two in your home with missing pieces. This is a great recycling project to turn those useless puzzle pieces into a special gift for Mother's Day or any occasion!
Materials and Supplies
- 3 Recycled puzzle pieces*
- Tacky glue or hot glue gun with glue sticks
- 1 Bar pin
- Small piece of double sided - heavy duty tape
- Acrylic paint and paint brush or Spray paint
- Glitter and Elmer's glue OR Glitter glue
- Optional: confetti shapes
* For our pin, we used puzzle pieces that are approximately 1 1/4" wide. We have also made pins with 3/4" puzzle pieces.
- Lay out the three puzzle pieces in an over-lapping pattern. Glue them together using the tacky glue or hot glue gun. If using the tacky glue, let dry completely before proceeding.
- Attach a pin to the back side of the puzzle piece arrangement using a piece of heavy duty two sided tape. See our Hints and Tip section for hints on doing this.
- Decorate your pin
Option 1: While the paint is still wet, sprinkle glitter over the surface of the puzzle pieces.
Option 2: Once your paint is dry, use a sponge brush or paint brush to cover the entire painted surface with Elmer's glue then sprinkle glitter over the glue.
Option 3: Spread a coat of glitter glue over the entire painted surface with either your finger tip, a paint brush or a Q-tip.
Optional: glue confetti shapes to the painted/glittered side of your pin. To do this, place a dot of Elmer's or tacky glue everywhere you want the confetti shapes. Stick them on top of the glue.
- If you don't have any puzzles with missing pieces, try looking for some used puzzles at yard sales (tag sales) or thrift stores.
- If making this project with a group of children, spray paint the pieces ahead of time and let the kids glue them together and decorate them.