Fun and simple, this stuffed gingerbread man is a great project for teaching children to sew. Complete crafting instructions and full sized gingerbread man pattern included.
Materials and Supplies
- Tan Felt - 2 pieces 13" x 10"
- Tan Yarn
- 3 Buttons
- Small pompom, tan or white
- 1 pair googly eyes, 12mm to 15mm
- Ric Rac
- Ultra Fine Tip - Permanent marker
- Yarn needle
- Polyester Fiberfill (stuffing)
- Powder blush
- 3 large safety pins
- Tacky glue
- 3/16" Hole Punch
- Trace and cut out 2 gingerbread man shapes from the felt. Due to the size of the pattern it will print on two pages. Simply line up the edges and tape together to form the complete pattern.
- Being careful to line up both felt gingerbread men evenly, pin them together with the three large safety pins*.
- Using the hole punch, make holes around the outside edge of the gingerbread man thru both layers approximately 1/4" in from the edge and ½" apart.
- Thread the yarn needle with tan yarn and knot one end. To start so the knot won't pull thru, from between the 2 layers of the gingerbread man come up between 2 sets of the punched holes.
- Using the holes, hand sew with an over edge stitch (Come up from the bottom into one of the holes then bring your needle up from the bottom again into the very next hole.)
- Stop sewing when you have about 2 ½" left to sew. I find it helpful to take the needle off the yarn while stuffing your gingerbread man so it doesn't fall off and get lost.
- Lightly stuff your gingerbread man being sure to spread the stuffing into the head, arms and legs.
- Re-thread your needle and resume sewing.
- When you finish sewing, knot the yarn and take a couple more stitches before cutting the yarn. (This helps hide the end of the yarn.)
- Put a little blush on your gingerbread man where the checks will be.
- Glue on the eyes and pompom nose. Draw a mouth with the permanent marker.
- Glue ric rac on your gingerbread man as desired. I glued mine around the entire shape and placed a small piece across each arm and leg to define the feet and hands.
- Glue 3 buttons down the front of your gingerbread man's body.