Make pumpkins of different sizes using a variety of different size glass canning jars. Then light them up with battery operated tea lights for safe and festive Halloween decoration.
Materials and Supplies
- Glass canning jar
- Battery operated tea light
- Acrylic paint - orange, green, white, and black
- Fine liner paint brush
- Medium round paint brush (or whatever you have on hand)
- Sea sponge
- Remove the lid and place it aside. Using the sea sponge, paint the outside of the canning jar with orange acrylic paint. Do not paint the bottom of the jar. To paint with the sponge, dip the sponge in the paint, dab a bit on a paper towel to test the consistency then dab it all over the jar reloading as necessary. You do not want a solid finish. Let dry completely.
- Paint the lid of the jar (both pieces) with two coats of green acrylic paint. Let dry completely.
- Using the medium round paintbrush, paint two white ovals for the eyes. Then, paint the pupils with black paint. Using the black paint, make a triangle for the nose.
- Switch to the liner brush and paint on a mouth and eyebrows with the black paint.
- Using the liner brush, draw squiggly green lines coming down from the top of the jar. These are the vines. Then, paint leaves coming off the vines. Let dry.
- Put the battery powered tea light inside the jar and put the lid on.
Idea: Try making pumpkins with a variety of jar sizes and display them together in one grouping.