Turn ordinary cheesecloth into a ghost decoration for your Halloween celebration.
Materials and Supplies
- 24" x 36" Cheesecloth
- Fabric stiffener such as Stiffy *
- Plastic wrap
- Two pencils
- 2 1/2" Styrofoam ball
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Two 12mm googly eyes
- Scrap of black felt
- Empty 20oz water bottle
- Assorted items to decorate your ghost such as a piece of chain, pumpkin, hat, witches broom, bail of hay
*If using spray stiffener, you will need to apply at least 3 - 4 applications letting it dry completely between applications. Also, Elmer's glue can be used in place of fabric stiffener however; some people have found it to yellow a bit over time.
1) Make a mold for your ghost by poking two holes, one opposite the other, in a water bottle. The holes should be 2 1/2" - 3" below the neck of the bottle. Stick the end of a pencil into each hole. The protruding pencils will form the arms of your ghost.
2) Unscrew the cap from the water bottle and discard. Place a 2 1/2" Styrofoam ball on top of the water bottle.
3) Cover the completed mold (the water bottle, Styrofoam ball and pencils) with plastic wrap.
Steps 1 & 2: Make a mold for your ghost
Step 3: Cover the mold with plastic wrap
4) Cover your work surface with plastic wrap
5) Drape the cheesecloth over the mold to get an idea of how you want your ghost to look and to be sure you have the correct amount of cheesecloth before using the stiffener.
- If you are using spray stiffener, you should go ahead and completely saturate your cheesecloth with the spray stiffener at this point. Let dry completely then saturate again with the spray. Repeat this process at least 3 - 4 times (more if needed) until desired stiffness is achieved.
- If you are using liquid stiffener, remove the cheesecloth from your mold. Pour the liquid stiffener into a disposable bowl (or one you only use for crafting) Dip the cheesecloth into the stiffener and make sure it is completely saturated. Squeeze out any excess stiffener. Drape the wet cheesecloth over the mold arranging the cheesecloth into your desired shape while it is still wet.
6) Let the ghost dry completely then carefully remove the mold from underneath the ghost.
7) Using a hot glue gun, attach your embellishments. Glue on googly eyes and cut an oval from black felt for a mouth. If you want a more simple ghost, just put on a face and leave off the other embellishments.
Note: It is important that you store your ghost in a cool dry place in between seasons to keep him from loosing his shape. Basements and attics are notoriously bad for storing this type of decoration.