Quick sewing project makes a purse that is perfect for a young girl to carry. Great way to recycled those old denim jeans.
Materials and Supplies
- Two 8" square of a cotton blend fabric
- Two 8" squares of denim fabric
- 18" of 1" wide lace
- 30" piece of cording
- 2" piece of hook & loop tape (Velcro)
- Sewing machine or needle
- Common pins
- Cut two 8" squares from a cotton or cotton blend fabric of your choice.
- Fold the squares in half wrong sides together and press with your iron. We'll refer to these as the cuffs. Place aside for now.
- Cut out two pocketbooks from denim using the pattern provided.
- On the wrong side of each of the denim pieces, stitch a 2" piece of hook and loop tape (hook on one piece of denim, loop on the other) approximately 3/4" down from the straight edge and centered side to side.
- Pin the long raw edge of one of the cuffs to the wrong side of one of the denim pocketbook pieces along the straight edge. Repeat with the other cuff and denim pocketbook section.
- Stitch these seams and all other seams using a 1/4" seam allowance.
- Flip the cuff to the right side and press in place.
- With the lace pointing inward, pin the straight edge of the lace to one of the denim pieces going all the way around except along the top where you sewed the cuff. Baste in place and remove the pins.
- Pin the two denim pieces right sides together so that the lace and cuffs are on the inside and sew around leaving the top open. Turn right side out.
- Knot both ends of the cord and, just inside, sew one end of the cord at each side of the purse.
Hint: I cut my denim from an old pair of jeans but you can also buy it by the yard at the fabric store.