Free crochet pattern to make a blanket using the half double crochet stitch. This blanket comes with adjustments for a baby blanket, preemie blanket and a regular afghan.
Materials and Supplies
- Yarn* worsted weight or sport weight
- Size H crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- Optional: contrasting yarn for the border 1 skein
* Preemie approximately 8 oz of main color (finished size 17" x 21"); Baby blanket approximately 12 oz of main color (finished size 24" x 30"); Afghan approximately 72 oz of main color (finished size 45" x 62")
The amount of yarn is an estimate and your tension, when crocheting, can affect the total yarn needed.
Note: For all stitches, work through both loops on the stitch.
Chain a multiple of 3 - Preemie - chain 63; Baby - chain 84; Afghan - chain 165
Row 1: hdc in 3rd ch from hook and in each ch across; ch 4 turn
Row 2: sk 2 hdc, slst in next hdc *ch3, sk 2 hdc, slst in next hdc repeat from * to end of row; ch 2 turn
Row 3: 3 hdc in each chain space; ch 4 turn
Row 4 - 7: Repeat rows 2 & 3 two more times.
Row 8: hdc in each stitch; ch 4 turn.
Repeat rows 2 - 8 until blanket is the desired length
Preemie 19" long; Baby 28" long; Afghan 60" long
Knot off and weave all loose ends back into the blanket with a yarn needle.
- Join cc to one of the shorter sides, several stitches before the corner - ch2; 1 hdc in each stitch to the corner; 5 hdc in corner stitch
- Continue border going up the side of the blanket by stitching 2 hdc at the end of each row.
- When you get to the next corner; 5 hdc in the corner stitch
- 1 hdc in each stitch across the other short end; 5 hdc in the corner
- 2 hdc at the end of each row on 2nd long side
- 5 hdc in corner
- 1 hdc in each stitch until you reach where you started
- Join with a slst to the ch2 at the beginning
- Ch 2; 1 hdc in each hdc all the way around the blanket except 2hdc in the corner stitch on each corner.
- When you get back to where you started; join with a slst, knot off and weave loose ends back into your blanket with a yarn needle.