Crafting this Easter basket is inexpensive and as easy as lacing a shoe and tying a knot.
Materials and Supplies
- 1 Sheet Plastic canvas
- Plastic lacing*
- Easter grass
*Thin ribbon could be used in place of plastic lacing if desired. If you use ribbon cut the ends at an angle to make lacing easier.
- Cut a square from the plastic canvas that has 62 little squares on each side. Place the extra plastic canvas aside for. It will be used later to make a handle.
- One each corner, cut out a square that is 18 squares on each side.
- Cut 4 pieces of lacing that are each 20" long.
- Lace up one of the corners as if you are lacing a shoe. Start at what will be the bottom of the basket and work your way to the top. Once you get to the top bring the lace to the inside of the basket and knot it cutting off the excess. Refer to the pictures below.
- Repeat step 4 to complete the other three corners.
- Cut a piece of plastic canvas from the left over canvas in step 1, that is 6 squares by 62 squares.
- Cut two 12" pieces of lacing for attaching the handle
- Attach one end of the handle to the center of one of the sides. To do this, overlap two rows of squares on the handle piece with two rows on the basket and hold it in place by making three x stitches with the plastic lacing. Knot on the inside of the basket.
- Attach the other end of the handle to the opposite side of the basket in the same way you attached the first handle end (see step #7)
- Using the plastic lacing, whip stitch along the two long side of the handle.
- Fill the basket with artificial grass.
Hint: Plastic canvas comes in a variety of colors in addition to the basic white/clear color. Spice things up by making baskets in a variety of colors.