This Bag Holder provides a neat place to store your grocery bags until needed. The size shown is extra large and can be sewn with less than one yard of fabric.
Materials and Supplies
- 30" of 1/4" wide Elastic
- 22" x 32" piece of Fabric
- On top end of fabric (22" wide side), fold down ½" toward the inside and press in place then fold down an additional 1" and press in place. This makes a total of 1 ½" hem (which forms the casing for the elastic).
- Repeat step 1 a t the bottom end of the fabric.
- Unfold both ends.
- With right sides together, line up and pin the two long sides.
- Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew this seam.
- Now, on both ends, fold the fabric under again where you pressed it, so that the raw edge is encased in the fold and not showing.
- Sew approximately 3/4" from top being sure to stop sewing about 1 ½" before you get to your start point.
- Repeat step 7 at the bottom of the bag. Steps 7 & 8 make the casing for your elastic.
- At the top, thread a 15" piece of elastic thru the casing. Attaching a safety pin to one end of the elastic helps guide it thru more easily.
- Sew both ends of the elastic together securely.
- Sew the remaining section of the casing closed.
- Repeat steps 9 thru 11 for the bottom casing using a 10" piece of elastic.
- Cut a 5" piece of elastic or ribbon to make the hanger for your bag holder.
- Fold it in half (end to end) and sew the ends securely in place on the inside of your bag holder near the top. This hanger should be placed on the inside along the back seam.
To use simply fill the holder from the top with grocery bags and pull them out from the bottom as needed.