Made from plastic canvas, this little birdie holds a Hershey kiss in his mouth. Pinch his cheeks and his mouth opens wide.
These Kissing Birds make great package toppers or party favors and can be made into a Christmas ornament by simply attaching a piece of monofilament to the top as a hanger.
Materials and Supplies
- 4ply Worsted weight yarn - any color
- 7 Count plastic canvas*
- #16 Tapestry needle**
- Two 7mm Googly eyes
- 1 Feather
- Tacky glue
- 1 Hershey Kiss
- Hole punch
- A piece of paper and a marker or print out the saying from your computer
- Monofilament or thin ribbon
*One 13 1/2" x 10 1/2" sheet of plastic canvas is enough to make 18 kissing birds.
** Any needle with a round blunt tip which is small enough to fit through the holes in the canvas and with an eye large enough for the yarn.
- Cut a piece of plastic canvas that is ten squares by ten squares. Trim all the bumps so that you have a smooth straight line on each side.
- Repeat Step #1 two more times so that you have a total of 3 squares.
- Thread your needle with yarn in the color of your choice and using the continental stitch, completely fill in each square.
- Using the overcast stitch, cover the edges of each square so that all the plastic canvas is covered. Take 3 stitches in each corner.
- Lay one square (sq 1) on top of a second square (sq 2) with wrong sides together.
- Using a whip stitch, stitch two adjacent sides together.
- Take the third square (sq 3) and line it up against sq 1 with wrong sides together so that the two unstitched sides on sq 1 match up with two of the sides on sq 3. Use a whip stitch to attach these sides together.
- Glue two googly eyes onto sq 3.
- Cut a 1 3/4" piece off the tip of a feather and glue this piece of feather to the top of the head.
- Pinch the cheeks and the mouth will open. Insert a Hershey Kiss.
- On a small piece of paper write "Pinch my cheeks and I'll give you a kiss" You can also print this on the computer.
Punch a hole on one end of this tag and thread a piece of monofilament or thin ribbon through the hole.
- Thread the monofilament/ribbon through one of the holes in the plastic canvas and tie the ends together in an overhand knot.
If using as a Christmas ornament, thread a piece of monofilament through one of the holes in the plastic canvas at the top of the head and tie the ends together in an overhand knot.