This wonderful project idea was brought to me by one of our California fans, Patti. It is a simple Thanksgiving decoration stitched from felt and inserted into a pineapple.
Materials and Supplies
- Bamboo or wooden skewer
- Orange felt
- Brown felt; 6" x 9"
- Small piece felt ~ gold, red, white, black
- Polyester Fiberfil, stuffing
- Pinking shears
- Sewing machine or needle & thread
- Tacky glue
- Cut a 6" x 9" rectangle from brown felt.
- Find the center of one of the 9" sides and cut a 2 1/4" slit from the edge in toward the center. See picture. Set aside for now.
- Cut two heads from orange felt using pinking shears.
- Cut one beak from gold felt and one waddle from red felt.
- Pin the two head pieces together with wrong sides together. Slide the beak and waddle in between the two head pieces and pin in place. Refer to pattern for placement.
- Using a 1/4" seam allowance and starting just below the waddle, stitch up and around the head and down the back of the neck. Leave the neck area under the waddle unstitched for now.
- Stuff the head with Polyester Fiberfil (stuffing).
- Cut a 7" x 5" piece of orange felt.
- Fold the felt in half bringing one of the 5" ends over until it almost meets up with the other 5" end.
- Starting on the fold side, roll towards the 5" ends. Use a piece of thread to tie the roll at each end. This will keep it from unrolling.
- Insert the felt roll into the neck and stitch the rest of the neck closed.
- Hand stitch the brown piece of felt to the bottom of the neck by placing the bottom edge of the neck inside the slit area and with the turkey's face facing away from the brown felt. Refer to the picture below.
- Cut out two eyes from white felt and two pupils from black felt.
- Glue one eye on each side of the turkey's head as pictured then glue the black pupil on top of the white circle.
- Slide a wooden skewer into the center of the turkey's neck with the point side sticking out the bottom of the neck.
See the printable page for step by step photos.
To use the turkey: Get a pineapple and lay it on it's side. The leaves of the pineapple act as the turkey's feathers. Stick the point of the skewer into the pineapple then place on your Thanksgiving table for all to enjoy!
You will need Acrobat Reader to view the pattern as it is a PDF.