This festive wreath can be made for any holiday, season or occasion. By simply changing the fabric, you get a completely new look for your wreath.
Materials and Supplies
- 14" Straw wrath
- Approximately 3 yards of Fabric *
- 2 Yards - 2 1/2" wide ribbon
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- 2 Common pins
- Pinking shears or Cutting mat & rotary cutter with pinking blade
A rotary cutter with self healing mat is a great tool, although not necessary, for a job like this. Check out our gadget corner for more information if you are not familiar with this tool.
*The amount of fabric needed depends on how close together you glue your fabric squares. The closer the squares, the fuller the wreath and the more fabric you need. The wreath pictured used 276 squares of fabric. You should get 297 squares from 3 yards of fabric.
- Cut fabric into 4" squares using pinking shears or a rotary cutter with pinking blade and a cutting mat.
- If the wreath is wrapped in plastic, leave the plastic wrap on the straw wreath.
- With the right side of one of the fabric squares facing upward bring the four corners in to meet each other. Hold the square by the corners and turn it over. Place a large dot of hot glue on the flat section on the back side of the square (opposite where you are holding the corners). Basically, what you are doing is putting a large dot of glue in the center of the wrong side of the fabric square but holding it by the corners.
- Place the square directly on the plastic wrap covering the straw wreath.
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 placing the fabric squares close together.
- If you lay the straw wreath flat on your work surface, you should cover all areas of the wreath with fabric squares except for the part of the wreath which is on your work surface.
- Tie your ribbon in a bow and attach it to the wreath with 2 or 3 common pins.
- Trim the ends of the ribbon at an angle for a professional look.
- For a baby shower, make a wreath using "baby" fabric.
- Fall wreaths can be made with fabric containing fall leaves or apples
- Instead of using ribbon for the bow, make a bow from a contrasting color of fabric
- If you don't want to use hot glue, you can use common pins and place one in the center of each square.