Make a whimsical Christmas tree from yarn, cardboard and pompoms. No need to knit or crochet with this fun Christmas craft. Our unique and all original Yarn Christmas Tree makes a great Christmas centerpiece that will last for years. Place a Frosty the Snowman next to your completed tree for an extra special holiday centerpiece.
Materials and Supplies
1 Skein green yarn
Small amount of brown yarn
Gold glitter pipe cleaner
Styrofoam disk 3" in diameter and 3/4" high
3" circle of brown felt
Paper towel tube
Glitter pom poms in various sizes 1/4" to 3/4" *
Hot glue gun with glue sticks
*Our tree has 46 pom poms on it.
- Cut a 10" circle from heavy duty cardboard. If your cardboard is not rigid enough it may be necessary to cut two or three circles and tape them together with packaging tape to make a firm base for your tree.
- On one end of the empty paper towel tube, make four 1" slits. Bend each piece of cardboard which is between the slits outward forming flaps. Glue the flaps to one side of the 10" base making sure that the tube is in the center of the circle. You should now have a circle with a cardboard tube coming straight up from the center of it. This will be referred to as the tree form.
- Using a dab of hot glue, glue one end of the yarn to the underside of the tree form. Wrap the yarn around the tree form going up over the top of the cardboard tube and back under the cardboard circle. As you wrap the yarn around the tree form, alternate the direction so that you cover up the tree from. Keep the yarn taught as you wrap so that it does not slip off.
- Once the tree is covered well, cut the yarn off of the skein leaving a 12" tail. Use the yarn tail and securely tie it on the bottom of the tree. When tying it on the underside of the tree, if you pass the tail under several layers of the yarn and then tie it to itself, it will help keep the yarn from slipping. Tip: It may be helpful to use a yarn needle to pass the yarn tail under the other layers.
- Using a low temp setting on your glue gun, put a dab of hot glue on the outer edge of the Styrofoam disk and put the end of the brown yarn into the glue. Start wrapping the brown yarn around the outer edge of the disk adding some glue as you go to help keep the yarn in place. Once this outer edge is covered, cut off the extra yarn and glue the end in place.
- Lay the disk flat on one side and glue a piece of felt on the top side. Flip the disk over and apply a layer of hot glue to the other side of the Styrofoam disk. With the glue side facing up, pickup the tree and making sure it is centered, place it on top of the glue.
- Attach the sparkly pom poms to the tree with a dab of hot glue.
- Make a star from a glittery gold pipe cleaner. The easiest way to do this is to fold the pipe cleaner back and forth on itself about every inch. Then you can bend it into the shape of a star. One end should be slightly longer. Use this extra to wrap around the starting end of the star to keep it together.
- Once the star is complete, attach it to the top of the tree with some hot glue.