Kids and adults alike will have fun making this Christmas penguin decoration. It's loaded with glitter, glue and paint!
Optional: Fill the penguin's body (the water bottle) with sand or rice to turn this decoration into a paper weight.
Materials and Supplies
- Aqua Pod water bottle*
- White glue
- Black glitter
- 1/2" Orange pompom
- Red glitter felt
- 1" Silver sparkle pompom
- Two 20mm oval eyes
- Acrylic paint; white and orange
- Black glitter felt
- Optional: Hot glue
*Aqua Pod is an 11oz bottle from Poland Springs with a unique chubby shape.
- Using a paintbrush, cover the outer surface of the bottle with white glue except - DO NOT put glue on the bottom of the bottle. DO NOT put glue on the front side of two of the bumps at the bottom of the bottle and DO NOT put glue where the penguin's belly will be. The belly will be approximately 2" high and 1 1/4" wide.
- While the glue is still wet, sprinkle it with black glitter. Fine glitter works best.
- Paint the belly white and paint the front of the two bumps that are directly under the belly orange. Let dry completely.
- For the remainder of the project, you can use either white glue or hot glue. The hot glue sets up quicker. If using the white glue you may need to hold the pieces for a couple of minutes while they dry. Cut out two wings from the sparkly black felt. Glue one on each side so that the sparkly side of the felt is facing out.
- Trace and cut one hat piece out of red sparkle felt. Glue the two long straight sides together overlapping them slightly an forming a cone shape. Be sure the sparkle side is facing out.
- Glue the hat on top of the bottle. Fold the top of the hat over as pictured. You may tack it in place with glue if you like.
- Glue a sparkly silver pompom to the tip of the hat.
- Glue the eyes under the hat at an angle as pictured.
- Trim the orange pompom into a triangle shape and glue just below the eyes just on the top edge of the belly.
You will need Acrobat Reader to view the pattern as it is a PDF.