Easy kids craft!
This simple craft is a great project to make as a gift or to entertain children at a Birthday party. It is made from a recycled woater or soda bottle.
Suggestion: If you want to use colored sand simply add some powdered tempera paint to the sand and give it a good shake before adding the shells.
Materials and Supplies
- Funnel - optional
- Small empty water or soda bottle - Our bottle is approximately 5" tall
- Cork that fits the bottle - Our cork is 1 1/4" tall
- String or twine
- 3" x 4 1/2" piece of white paper
- Cup of tea
- You will need a piece of paper approximately 3" x 4 1/2" but instead of cutting it, tear it to the recommended size. Now crinkle it up and place it in a cup of tea for a few minutes until it turns a weathered color. I recommend keeping it in the tea for at least 15 minutes. I left the tea bag in the cup with the paper. Now remove it from the tea, squeeze out the excess tea and place it on some newspaper, paper towels or and old towel and let it dry completely. Once it is dry, write your message on it.
- Remove the label from your bottle and wash the bottle out. Be sure the bottle is completely dry before proceeding.
- Using a funnel, pour sand into the bottle until it comes up about 1/4 of the way. If you don't have a funnel, you can make one by rolling a piece of paper into a cone shape and putting the end into the bottle. Hold the funnel in place while you pour.
- Add as many shells to the bottle as you like. They must be small enough to fit through the neck of the bottle. We used about 15 shells. If you don't see your shells, just give it a little shake and they will come to the top.
- Now, take your message from step 1. Be sure it is totally dry. Roll up the message and tie one end of a 7" string to the center of the note. Make a knot in the other end of the string. Staple the knotted end of the string to the side of your cork.
- Put the note in the bottle and put the cork in place. When you want to read the note, simply pull out the cork and the note will follow.
* If you use a larger bottle, also use a longer string.