Pot-O-Hearts is a great children's project and unique Valentine's Day decoration! Make one yourself and give it to the special someone in your life.
Materials and Supplies
- 2 1/2" tall peat pot
- Rocks or marbles
- 2" Styrofoam ball
- Six 7mm eyes
- 2 green pipe cleaners
- Red and Pink craft foam
- Masking tape
- One 6 1/2" square green tissue or green napkin unfolded and cut into 4 even pieces
- Fine point permanent marker or ball point pen (for drawing face)
- Cut the green pipe cleaners in thirds. *With one piece, fold both ends to the middle to form leaves and twist. With a second piece, twist it once around the middle of the leaves to make a stem. Repeat from * two times for a total of 3 stems with leaves.
- Put glue on pot (I used 2 1/2" tall peat pot) where you want glitter and sprinkle with glitter.
- Cut out three 2" heart shapes from craft foam
- With masking tape, tape one stem to the back of each heart
- Glue on eyes and draw face
- Place a few rocks or marbles in bottom of pot for weight
- Wrap a piece of green tissue paper (6" square) around the 2" Styrofoam ball and place in pot (smooth side up)
- Push stems thru tissue into Styrofoam ball
- Put it where everyone can enjoy it
*Be sure when you cut out the hearts that the side with the pen marks becomes the back.
*I cut one stem in each group shorter
*You could eliminate the glitter and decorate the pots with crayons or markers
*When using glitter, I work over a paper towel. If working with children, I give each child a
small cup of glitter. After sprinkling the glitter where they want it they simply fold the paper
towel in half and pour the extra back in the cup.