With this simple hat sewing pattern, you can make a Leprechaun hat for St Patricks Day!
The pattern below gives instructions for a hat that will fit children and adults with small heads. To increase the size of the hat, add 1" or more to each of the measurements except for the 6" measurement as that is the height of the hat.
Materials and Supplies
- Green felt - 1/2 yard (36" wide)
- Black felt -24" x 1 1/4" strip
- Small amount gold felt
- Sewing machine
All seam allowances should be 1/2" except where noted. Please refer to our Sewing Information page for a list of definitions.
- Cut 6" x 22" strip from green felt.
- From green felt cut one 7 1/2" circle and two 12 1/2" circles. In the center of the 12 1/2" circles, cut out a 6 1/2" circle and set the 6 1/2" circles aside for another project.
- Fold the green 6" x 22" strip in half crosswise lining up the 6" ends. Pin in place and sew.
- On one end of the tube, pin the 7 1/2" circle to the tube and sew in place being sure your stitches are on the wrong side of the felt hat.
- Right side out your hat.
- Place one of the 12 1/2" circles on top of the other 12 1/2" circle being sure the outer edges are lined up. Pin the outside edge in place. Using a 1/4" seam, sew around this outside edge. This will be your brim.
- Turn the circle right side out so the seam you just sewed is on the inside. Press the outer edge with your fingers or your iron.
- Top stitch 1/4" from this outer edge of the circle.
- Baste the two layers of the inner circle of the brim together. Pin the inner circle of the brim to the right side of the open end of the tube. Sew in place.
- Cut a 1 1/4" x 24" strip from black felt. Cut 3 1/4" square from gold felt. Cut two 1 1/4" long slits in the gold square 1" from each of the two sides.
- Slide the gold square (buckle) onto the black strip by passing one end of the strip into one slit and then back out through the other slit. Slide the gold buckle to the center of the black strip.
- Wrap the black strip (hat band) around your finished hat and pin the ends where they overlap. Slip the hat band back off the hat and stitch the ends together forming a ring. Slide it back onto the hat and it is now ready for you to wear.