With some acrylic paint and a sea sponge, you can turn a plain round glass jar into a pumpkin light. We made three, one larger and two slightly smaller and use them together for a centerpiece. This trio of pumpkins is a spectacular Halloween decoration that we have displayed for several years.
The beauty of a project like this is you can use any size jar you have hanging around. You can even use baby food jars for a mini version.
Materials and Supplies
- Any round glass jar such as a round fish bowl or an ivy bowl with a smooth edge
- Orange acrylic paint
- Sea sponge
- Black paint
- Paint brush
- Clear acrylic spray paint
- Rubbing alcohol
- Wipe down a clean glass jar with rubbing alcohol and let air dry. Make sure it is completely dry before proceeding.
- Paint the jar with a sea sponge and orange acrylic paint. To do this, dip the sponge in the paint then dab it on a paper towel to take off any excess paint. Dab the glass jar with the sponge. Reload with more paint as needed. Let dry.
- Make a face with black paint. You can either paint it on with a paint brush or use paint that come in a squeeze bottle. I often use fabric paint for things like this because it comes in nice little squeeze bottles and is fairly inexpensive. Let dry.
- Apply one or two coats of clear acrylic spray paint to the outside of the jar to seal the paint.
- Place a tea light or a battery operated tea light inside each pumpkin. Enjoy!