This is a simple project for children to practice sewing wit a needle and thread. It's also a great project to use up scrap fabric. Make a great gift for Mother's Day or any day.
Materials and Supplies
- Two 5" squares of fabric
- 8" piece of thin ribbon; 1/4" - 1/8" wide
- Needle & Thread
- 2 small safety pins
- Glue - optional
- Cut 2 hearts out of the fabric (refer to tips section on cutting out hearts)
- With right sides together, pin the hearts so they don't move while you sew (refer to tips section on teaching children to sew).
- Thread a needle and sew around the heart leaving an opening * for turning and filling. Knot and cut thread.
- Right side out and fill with potpourri.
- Sew opening closed.
- Make a bow with the ribbon and glue or sew on.
*It is easiest to leave the opening for filling along one of the straight sides.
Variation - Make a larger heart and stuff with polyester fiberfill as a pillow.