Make a beautiful yet inexpensive frame for any photo. It's a great way to display a photo for all to see. Change up the words to fit the picture. The "I Love You" on this frame is perfect for this young couple but if you want to give a picture of your puppy to Grandma, just change the saying at the top of the frame.
You can also put this decorative cardboard frame into a traditional frame. The decorated cardboard makes a perfect matte.
Materials and Supplies
- Purple floral embellishments*
- White Cardboard; 10.5" x 7.75"
- Scrap of denim
- Foam hearts; purple, pink and red
- Red permanent marker
- Tacky glue
- 1/4" wide silver ribbon about 22" long
- Stencils with letters that are about 1/2" tall or you can free hand the words and decorations
- Hole punch
- Yarn or thin ribbon
- Acid free double sided tape
- 4" x 6" photo
*They are little flowers sold in the scrapbook section.
- Attach a photo to the center of the cardboard with acid free double sided tape. Make sure you attach it to the white side of the cardboard.
- Cut two 4 1/2" pieces of silver ribbon and two 6 1/2" pieces. Glue one of the 6 1/2" pieces just above the photo and one just below. Glue on the 4 1/2" pieces, one on either side of the photo. This will make a nice border around the photo.
- Using a stencil (or you can free hand it), write I Love You above the photo with a red marker. Using the same marker add some little flowers around the "I Love You" words and add some stenciled or hand drawn hearts and flowers with a vine below the photo. You can also use the marker to draw some XOXOs and hearts randomly on the cardboard.
- At the top of the cardboard, about a 1/2" from the top edge and 3" in from each side, make a hole using a hole punch. You should have 2 holes. Make sure these holes don't get covered when you glue on your embellishments.
- Glue two craft foam hearts on each side of the photo. They can be solid hearts, hearts with the centers cut out or some of each as we have done.
- Cut two mini hearts out of denim and glue them to the lower portion of the frame near the vine of hearts and flowers (as pictured).
- Randomly glue on some flower petals. We used a variety of purple flowers. Over lap some of the flowers as you attach them.
- Cut two 12" pieces of yarn or ribbon. Thread one through each of the holes in the top of the frame. Pull the ends so that they are all even and using an overhand knot, knot them all together. About half way down the strings, knot them together again. Use this to hang your photo on the wall.
- If you plan on using this as a matte for inside a traditional style frame, omit the holes and the string. You will also need to adjust the size of your cardboard so that it fits inside the frame and don't put the embellishments too close to the edges.
- You can substitute a piece of matte board for the cardboard.