Use our free knitting pattern to learn how to knit this simple winter hat.
Pattern is for a hat that fits the average adult. To make a larger hat, cast on additional stitches in a multiple of four. To make the hat longer, simply work the k2, p2 ribbing to the desired length.
Materials and Supplies
- Approximately 3 oz Red Heart Super Saver Yarn; worsted weight, pink tones color #0707
- Size 8 knitting needles
- Yarn needle
Begin Knitting pattern:
- Cast on 80 stitches
- Work k2, p2 ribbing until work measures 9 1/2"
Decrease as follows:
- Row 1: *K2 tog, p2. Repeat from * to end of row. (60 sts)
- Row 2: *K2 tog, p1. Repeat from * to end of row. (40 sts)
- Row 3: *K1, p1. Repeat from * to end of row.
- Row 4: *K2 tog, p2 tog. Repeat from * to end of row. (20 sts)
- Row 5: *K1, p1. Repeat from * to end of row.
- Row 6: K2 tog, *k1, k2 tog. Repeat from * to end of row. (13 sts)
- Row 7: P.
- Row 8: K1, *k2tog. Repeat from * to end of row. (7 sts)
- Cut yarn leaving a long end. Thread through a yarn needle and draw through remaining stitches, gather and secure. Sew back seam. Weave loose ends back into your work.
If desired make a pompom. This hat looks cute either way, with or without a pompom.
To Make a pompom - wrap yarn around 4 fingers 75 times. Slide the loops off and securely tie a 15" piece of yarn around the center of the loops. Do NOT cut the strand of yarn you used to tie the loops. You will use this to attach the pompom to the hat. Cut the loops and trim the pompom so that it looks neat.