Not only is this drink holder perfect for holding your drinks and protecting the table but it's also a great place to keep a television remote or two. Paint a wooden box and add some wine corks and you have a drink holder perfect for that cold bottle of beer.
You can also use this drink holder to hold cans of soda and bottles of water. Whatever you like to drink, you will find this drink holder perfect for protecting your table. With the felt bottom, you don't have to worry about your drink holder scratching the table!
Kids can make this as a gift for Father's day, Mother's day or Christmas. An adult will need to cut the corks but children can finish the project.
If children are making this drink holder, you can substitute tacky glue for the hot glue but the corks may slide a bit until the glue starts to set up.
Materials and Supplies
- Open top wooden box that is 3" tall; with a 3 1/4" square opening on the top and a bottom (base) that is 4" square
- Brown acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Cigar cutter or utility knife
- White glue
You can find a wide variety of wooden boxes at your local craft store.
- Paint the entire box, inside and outside, with brown acrylic paint. Let dry.
- Cut a piece of felt the same size as the bottom of the box and using white glue, glue it to the bottom of the wooden box.
- Cut the corks using either a cigar cutter or utility knife so that they are approximately 1/4" thick. You will need 48 pieces of cork.
- Using the hot glue gun, glue three rows of four cork pieces to each side of the box.
- Your drink holder is now complete. Put a beer bottle, soda bottle or water bottle in the box.