Turning cardboard tubes into napkin rings is a fun activity filled with cutting, painting and gluing. Easy kids craft.
Materials and Supplies
Craft Supplies: *
- White cardstock
- Recycled cardboard tube such as toilet paper or paper towel tubes
- Red acrylic or kids craft paint
- Paint brush
- Glue stick
- Tacky glue
- 2 1/2" square of small heart print fabric
Optional: Sizzix machine with heart die cut
* Material amounts listed are per napkin ring. You can get approximately four rings from one toilet paper tube.
- Cut the cardboard tube so that it forms rings that are approximately 1 to 1 1/4" wide. You will need one ring for each napkin holder.
- Paint the inside and outside of each cardboard ring with red paint. Let dry completely.
- For each napkin ring, cut out one heart from cardstock and one heart from fabric. To cut out the hearts, either use a Sizzix machine with a heart die cut or cut them out by hand using our heart pattern which can be found on our printable page.
- Using a glue stick, spread a layer of glue on one side of the cardstock heart. Lay the fabric heart on top of the glued area with the right side of the fabric facing up (wrong side of fabric against the glue).
- Using tacky glue, attach the heart to the ring as pictured being sure the fabric side of the heart is facing outward. An easy way to do this is to place the heart face down on your work surface and run a bead of tacky glue down the center of the backside of the heart. Then, place the ring on top of the heart and press firmly in place. Keep the napkin ring in this position until the glue dries completely. If you don't want to wait for the tacky glue to dry, you can use a hot glue gun in place of the tacky glue.
Paint the cardboard ring and glue the fabric heart on top fo the cardstock heart.
Run a bead fo tacky glue down the center fo the bac of yoru heart.
Firmly press the ring into the glue ou put on the back side of your heart.
Your napkin holder is now complete!