Crochet this Popcorn Stitch Afghan in one of three sizes, afghan size, baby blanket size or doll size. We have include the changes to stitch this blanket / afghan in all three sizes.
This pattern is written as a doll blanket with changes in parenthesis for the baby blanket and afghan sizes.
Complete crochet instructions on how to complete the popcorn stitch are included below. You can also get more details on the popcorn stitch and how to make a reverse popcorn stitch (not used in this pattern) in our Crochet Stitch Patterns section.
Finished sizes: Doll blanket 14.5" x 18"; Baby blanket 23" x 30"; Afghan 44" x 62"
Materials and Supplies
- Crochet hook size H (5.0mm)
- Yarn needle
- Red Heart Super Saver worsted weight yarn*
* Yarn amount needed
- Doll blanket = 7oz
- Baby blanket = 19oz
- Afghan = 74oz
- ch = chain
- dc = double crochet
- pc = popcorn stitch
- rep = repeat
- sc = single crochet
- sk = skip a stitch
- slst = slip stitch
- sp = space
- st = stitch
A popcorn stitch (pc) is created by making 4 dc into one stitch then remove your crochet hook from the stitch it is in and insert the hook from front to back in the first double crochet of this group; pick up the loop you dropped and pull it through the first double crochet stitch. That's all there is to it!
- Chain 55 (83, 163)
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across (53, 81, 161)
- Row 2: Ch 1, turn, work through both loops of each stitch now and throughout; sc in 1st sc, *ch1, sk 1, pc, ch 1, sk 1, sc in next sc; rep from * to end of row.
- Row 3: Ch 1, turn; sc in 1st sc, sc in ch 1 sp, *ch1, sc in ch 1 sp; rep from * across to last st; sc in last sc.
- Row 4: Ch 1, turn; sc in 1st sc, ch1, sc in ch 1 sp, ch 1 *pc in ch 1 sp, ch1, sc in ch 1 sp, ch 1; rep from * across to last 2 sc, sk next sc, sc in last sc
- Row 5: Rep row 3
- Row 6: Ch 1, turn; sc in 1st sc, ch 1, pc in ch 1 sp, ch 1, *sc in ch 1 sp, ch 1, pc in ch 1 sp, ch 1; rep form * to last 2 sc, sk next sc, sc in last sc.
- Repeat rows 3 - 6 until your work measures 16" (28", 60")
- Work one more row of row 3 pattern
Border - the border can be worked in the same color as the body of the blanket / afghan or in a contrasting color.
- Ch 2, turn dc in each sc and in each ch 1 sp to the last st; 3dc in last sc
- Working up the side: *dc in 1st sp, 2 dc in next sp; rep from * to corner. Work 3dc in corner.
- Working across the end: dc in each stitch across to last st; 3 dc in last st
- Working down the last side: *dc in 1st sp, 2 dc in next sp; Rep from * to corner join with slst to 1st dc of border.
- Fasten off and weave all loose ends back into your work.