Both the adult and child scarves are made the same way from worsted weight yarn. The only difference between the two is the finished length. The child's scarf measures 48" long and the adult scarf measures 60".
Materials and Supplies
- Crochet hook size H (5 mm)
- Yarn needle
- Child size = 5 oz of worsted weight yarn*
- Adult size = 7 oz worsted weight yarn*
*The scarf as pictured was made using Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Grape Fizz. Child's size measures 48" long. The adult scarf measures approximately 60" long. If you want to wear your scarf in the traditional fashion, this is long enough but if you want to wear it the new trendy way where you fold it in half and pass the ends through the fold (after it's wrapped around your neck) you will need to make it longer and therefore will need additional yarn.
Back view of the scarf:
A popcorn stitch (pc) is created by making 4 dc into one stitch then remove your crochet hook from the stitch it is in and insert the hook from front to back in the first double crochet of this group; pick up the loop you dropped and pull it through the first double crochet stitch.
- Chain 18
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across (17)
- Row 2: Ch 1, turn, work through both loops of each stitch now and throughout; sc in 1st sc, *ch1, sk 1, pc, ch 1, sk 1, sc in next sc; rep from * to end.
- Row 3: Ch 1, turn; sc in 1st sc, sc in ch 1 sp, *ch1, sc in ch 1 sp; rep from * across to last st; sc in last sc
- Row 4: Ch 1, turn; sc in 1st sc, ch1, sc in ch 1 sp, *ch 1 pc in ch 1 sp, ch1, sc in ch 1 sp; rep from * across to last sc, sc in last sc
- Row 5: Rep row 3
- Row 6: Ch 1, turn; sc in 1st sc, ch 1, *pc in ch 1 sp, ch 1, sc in ch 1 sp, ch 1; rep form * to last 2 sc, sk next sc, sc in last sc
- Repeat rows 3 - 6 until your work measures 60" for adult size or 48" for child's size or to desired length
- Work one more row of row 3 pattern
- Fasten off and weave loose ends back into your work with a yarn needle
To make the fringe, cut 30 strands of yarn 14" long. Group the strands in groups of three. Holding the three strands together, fold them in half. Insert the crochet hook into one of the spaces on one of the ends of the scarf. Hook the crochet hook around the center of the folded strands of yarn and pull through the space in the scarf. Remove the crochet hook and pass the ends of the yarn through the fold in the yarn and pull taught. Our sample has five sets of fringe on each end of the scarf but you can attach more if you prefer.
- ch = chain
- dc = double crochet
- pc = popcorn stitch
- rep = repeat
- sc = single crochet
- sk = skip a stitch
- slst = slip stitch
- sp = space
- st = stitch